Tuesday, 30 November 2010

Winter - a time to be patient

The first three weeks of November saw some frosty nights, but many of the days were sunny and warm enough for the bees to fly. A few had been spotted coming back to the hive with small amounts of pollen.

This week, winter has arrived with a vengeance! We've not had as much snow as the north east and Scotland, but now have around 6 inches laying in the garden and temperatures have plummeted to as low as -8 C at night and daytime temperatures barely make 0 C.


Now is the time to hope that they have stored enough honey to see them through the winter. I'd like to see them survive without any supplementary feeding, but not having had them when it was warm enough to check through the hive, I've no idea of how much they have. Just have to hope for a break in the weather at some point so that I can check, I guess.

It is reassuring to be able to hear their hum by listening at the entrance!  I check every morning and evening at the moment....

Now to practice my patience!

2 comments:

  1. Oh my it is so cold in the Yorkshire dales. I saw all the snow in Europe on the TV tonight for the first time. I'm in Australia - it is our summer but raining for 2 days now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. looking picture post card beautiful - will swap you some heat !!

    ReplyDelete