Thursday, 11 March 2010

Wax Guide for the Top Bars

As previously described, I have now filled the Top Bar grooves with bees wax. The smell of honey as the wax was melting made the whole process worth while. I used a small pyrex (glass) beaker (an advantage of living with a science teacher) to hold the wax and placed it into a pan of boiling water to make sure that the wax didn't get too hot.

Melting the wax

Pouring the wax was a challenge. Not, as I expected, getting the wax into the groove, but just pouring it! Pyrex does not conduct heat very well, so despite containing molten wax, I could pick it up without any gloves or other protection. However, as the wax reached to cooler parts of the beaker, it set very quickly. As a result I was constantly returning it to the pan, scraping off the set wax and waiting for it to melt again. I must get a stainless steel jug for the next time!

Completed Top Bars
But what a delightful result! The colour of the wax against the wood combined with the aroma of honey and wax made it all worthwhile!

1 comment:

  1. What a lovely job you have made with your TBH, I am passionate about using this sort of hive, with autumn just around the corner here in NZ, my bees are busy propolising, bringing in pollen - I will treat for varroa soon with ApiLifeVar, the organic wafer and cross everything that they survive this pest and the winter.

    ReplyDelete